miércoles, 21 de mayo de 2008

Back to Colombia

Colombia. A country that evokes images of cocaine, bloodshed, and poverty. A place where political corruption and guerrilla revolution have clashed and combined to strip the image of Colombia down to that of a drug-filled thug haven . Your travel agent probably considers Colombia about as much as an architect considers putting a toilet in your kitchen. But there is something missing from the information the average American has on which to base his/her opinions about Colombia. They are missing the experience of walking the plaza in a Colombian pueblo, of taking the spotless Metro through the safe streets of Medellin, of hiking jungle trails to the remote beaches of Parque Tairona, and most importantly of meeting and enjoying the company of a Colombian.



When I was boarding my flight into Bogota, I met 2 other Americans. I usually have headphones in and a distant stare out the window on airplanes, and pretend to not speak whatever language the chatty frequent flyer next to me speaks. But on this flight something got my headphones off and eye contact made. We shared little in terms cultural background or personal style. One was a 22-year old alternative kid with a lip ring and tattoo; one was a late-thirties businessman from Miami (not the business your thinking). I, myself, am a classic “tweener”. Too clean cut and sporty to be alternative, to liberal and lazy to be a young yuppie. What the three of us shared was the experience of Colombia. There was a look, a clichéd glimmer, in each of our eyes when we spoke about why we were going back to Colombia. Little had to be said, because we each already knew. The people are amazing. Friendly and curious, their warmth and hospitality leads not only to intelligent single serving conversations, but lasting friendships and connections. Of course there are beautiful landscapes, jungles, mountains and beaches, as can be expected, and is even common among many of the worlds developing nations, but it is the day to day interactions and overall pleasantness that I think is the unique and unknown charm that makes those of us that come, want to stay.



In this blog I will describe some of my unique interactions in my daily life in Medellin, Colombia. I will try to paint an honest picture of both the city of Medellin and its people, comically pointing out the ironies and flaws, while noting the unsung ease and grace of the city. This is not a Colombia tourism blog. I actually hope that North Americans and Europeans stay scared and don’t taint the culture, albeit a historically violent one, of Colombia. I write this only to address an American ignorance about a country with a strong middle class attitude and dedication to a safer more prosperous future.



This is the first of 10 blogs that I will write during my visit to Colombia. My first ever blog (but third time in Colombia) will be written to entertain as much as inform, and draw from the travel writing style of Bill Bryson, the sports/pop culture humor of Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy), the self-deprecation of George Costanza and the well-written investigation of truth of Jon Krakauer. Undoubtedly falling short on all levels….except maybe Costanza.

1 comentario:

SISTEMATIZACIÓN SOBRE EL FOMENTO DE LA PARTICIPACIÓN dijo...

hey men bien por que te gusta colombia.

http://www.estebanvelez.blogspot.com/

http://estebanvelez.hi5.com/

llamadme por favor

3004174494

no vemos el fin de semana